||Sei quintetti per tre violini, violoncello obligatto e' basso repieno, opera seconda
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
- Quintet in A major
- Quintet in D major
- Quintet in B♭ major
- Quintet in C major
- Quintet in E♭ major
- Quintet in E minor
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1764 (autograph date on the E♭ major quintet)
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||3 Violins, Cello and Basso (see below)
- Mss copy, 1750-99 (I-Rc, Mss. 6136)
- Possible mss copy, 1758-62 (S-Uu, Gimo 343)
- Possible mss copy, 1758-62 (S-Uu, Gimo 347)
- Mss copy, 1764 (I-Rc, Mss. 6137)
- Mss copy, 1764 (I-Rc, Mss. 6135)
- Possible mss copy, 1758-62 (S-Uu, Gimo 345)
RISM interprets basso as violoncello (not unusually) and reads this as 3 violins and 2 cellos (the first cello a concertato - solo - cello and the second a ripieno cello - one that takes a more accompanying role- think concertante and ripieno groups in a concerto grosso. Also, the E♭ quintet ms copy has: Sonata da Camera à 3. Violini, e due Violoncelli Obligati which tends to support this view...) - Schissel
However, as the Basso part has figured bass, it could conceivably be played by other continuo instruments.