Aleksander Arct founded his firm in Warsaw in the late 19th century. It first published mainly piano music. From about 1900 the editions were more scholarly, edited by Warsaw Music Conservatoire teachers such as Jan Łysakowski, Aleksander Różycki, and Aleksander Michałowski. Arct's son Jerzy took over the firm in 1930.
Jerzy and his cousin Stanislaw Arct rebuilt the firm after its premises were destroyed in 1945. The bookshop was opened on 24th October 1945 at 35 Nowy Świat. The family of the previous director, the late Zygmunt (his wife Maria Buyno-Arctowa and sons Zbysław and Bohdan) took over the name of the company (M. Arct Zakłady Wydawnicze Sp. Akcyjna) and moved the premises to Wroclaw.
Imprints, Addresses, Agencies
- Arct's plate numbers appear in the format of M #### A. Dates in italics are estimated.
- Mini Dictionary of Music by Gustaw Roguski (1927).
- In the shadow of PWM. On some private music publishing houses in Poland