Gustav André (the son of Johann Anton André of Offenbach am Main, Germany), emigrated to the United States where in 1850 he established a music dealership and a circulating music library. An advertisement in the city directory reads "Agents for John André, Offenbach-on the-Main, Germany" indicating that he still maintained family ties. Apparently a brother, named Anton André Jr. (1807-1874) moved to Philadelphia at about the same time.
His disappearance from city directories beginning in 1867 suggests he retired, or became incapacitated, or died at that time. The 1867 Philadelphia city directory indicates his business being run by George E. Saurmann, Francis (Frank) A. North and Louis Olivier. Olivier dropped out soon after. North, who had been with the firm, left in late 1870 or early 1871 to create his own firm (F.A. North & Co.). In the 1870s, the name Frank L. Magoon is listed after Saurmann.
G. André & Co. folded by 1879. Their stock and plates were purchased by Oliver Ditson & Co.