||Julian Rushton (1941*)
||Hector Berlioz: New Edition of the Complete Works, vol.5 |
Kassel: Bärenreiter-Verlag, 1970. Plate BA 5445 (issued 1970)
This “urtext” or “scholarly” (scientific) edition was published at least 25 years ago in Germany and thus is public domain in its country of origin. Such editions are also public domain in Canada because they fail to meet the minimum ‘threshold of originality’ to qualify for copyright as an ‘adaptation’. It may not be public domain elsewhere, however. More information about this can be found here.
Please obey the copyright laws of your country. IMSLP does not assume any sort of legal responsibility or liability for the consequences of downloading files that are not in the public domain in your country.
||Huit scènes de Faust
||8 scenes from Faust
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
||H 33 ; Œuvre 1
- Chant de la fête de Pâques
- Paysans sous les tilleuls, dans et chant
- Concert de Sylphes
- Écot de joyeux compagnons, histoire d’un rat
- Chanson de Méphistophélès, histoire d’une puce
- Le roi de Thulé: chanson gothique
- Romance de Marguerite, chœur des soldats
- Sérénade de Méphistophélès
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1829-11-01 in Paris, Salle du Conservatoire (Concert de Sylphes only)
||Gérard de Nerval (1808–1855)
- after Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749–1832)
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||voices, chorus, orchestra |
- Solo Voices
- Mixed Chorus (SSTTBB)
- 2 flutes (also 2 piccolos), 2 oboes, 2 English horns, 2 clarinets, 4 bassoons
4 horns, 2 trumpets, ophcleide
timpani, harmonica (glockenspiel or celesta), 2 harps, guitar, strings
||Wikipedia article on La damnation de Faust
Assigned the first number in Berlioz’s œuvre, the work was subsequently withdrawn by Berlioz in November 1829, until he later incorporated its music in La damnation de Faust, 1846.
- Paris: 1829, Œuvre 1 (full score); withdrawn by Berlioz the same year.
- Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel, n.d. (1903), as part of Hector Berlioz Werke (1900–07), Serie V, Band X, edited by Charles Malherbe and Felix Weingartner
- Kassel: Bärenreiter, 1970, BA 5445, as part of New Berlioz Edition (1967–2005), Volume 5, edited by Julian Rushton