||Autograph manuscript, 1840 (September).
||Binder says "Mr. & Mrs. Henry M. Rogers. December 15, 1919. 2 vols." Clean autograph with crossouts rather than abschrift.
- Act I.
- Prelude (first 52 pages of ms)
- Introduction (STB offstage chorus of peasants/TB onstage chorus (+orch))
- Ballad (p.122. Kathleen, reduced orchestra)
- Scene (p.129-185? Kathleen, Roderick, Noonan (bass), Norato (Morato? Nirals?, ???, spelling? Soprano), Child, STB chorus, fuller orch. In multiple movements with full stops, marked with tempi but not as separate titled sections in score.)
- Recit. and Air. (p.187. Joyce Keating? (sp?), reduced orchestra. Aria starts p.195.)
- Cavatina: Allegretto con delicatezza (p.205. Norato, medium-sized orch.)
- Peasants Bridal Song: Allegretto quasi Andantino (p.217. STB chorus, orch.)
- Finale 1mo. Moderato. (p.229 to 318. Norato, Joyce, Lusmore (Lusmar?), Noonan, Roderick, STB chorus, orch.) In several sections (as often for an act finale.)
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||James Sheridan Knowles (1784-1862)
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||voices, chorus, orchestra Piccolo, flute, oboes, bassoons, clarinets in A, bassoons, 3 horns, trumpets, cornet a pistons, 3 trombones, ophicleide, harp, timpani, organ, percussion, strings
Described as unperformed/withheld from performance in contemporary biographies of the composer.
Is this based on a published work by Knowles (for example one that can be found in one of the three volumes of Knowles' works published in 1840 that can be downloaded @ Internet Archive- maybe with a lot of names changed and the plot much adapted by Barnett?), or was it written specifically by Knowles for this opera? I admit to some confusion... - ES