Mathis der Maler Symphony (Hindemith, Paul)
This work is likely not in the public domain in the US (due to first publication with the required notice after 1922, plus renewal or "restoration" under the GATT/TRIPS amendments), nor in the EU and those countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. However, it is public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted) and in other countries (China, Japan, S. Korea) where the copyright term is life+50 years.
No files submitted.
Mainz: B. Schott's Söhne, No.3509, 1934. Plate 34052.
|Work Title||Mathis der Maler Symphony|
|Alternative Title||Symphonie „Mathis der Maler"|
|Year/Date of Composition||1933/34 November-Feburary, Berlin|
|First Performance||1934-03-12 in Berlin
|First Publication||1934 - Mainz: Schott (facsimile of the composer's manuscript)|
|Average Duration||27 minutes|
|Related Works||Mathis der Maler (Opera)|
- Music subsequently used in the opera of the same name (q.v.) Plate no. BSS 34000a was apparently first used for the autograph facsimile (65p.), according to Stephen Hinton in SW (Sämtliche Werke) 11/2 (p. 184), but was later applied to a 100-page full score as well. The edition no. 3509 (Schott London: 3509a) and plate number BSS 34052 have been applied to both the 90 and 100-page miniature scores.
- -Paul Hindemith: A Research and Information Guide
- From the Opera of the same name, each movement come from the following parts of the Opera:
- I. Engelkonzert (The overture)
- II. Grablegung (Orchestral interlude from the last act)
- III. Versuchung des heiligen Antonius (Orchestral piece reworked and amplified into a visionary scene in Scene 6 of the Opera)
- -Cited from Wikipedia