This work is likely not in the public domain in the US (due to first publication with the required notice after 1922, plus renewal or "restoration" under the GATT/TRIPS amendments), nor in the EU and those countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. However, it is public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted) and in other countries (China, Japan, S. Korea) where the copyright term is life+50 years.
Please obey the copyright laws of your country. IMSLP does not assume any sort of legal responsibility or liability for the consequences of downloading files that are not in the public domain in your country.
⇒ 12 more: Oboe 1, 2 • Clarinet 1, 2 (B♭) • Bassoon 1, 2 • Horn 1, 2, 3, 4 (F) • Trumpet 1, 2 (C) • Trombone 1, 2, 3, Tuba • Timpani, Glockenspiel/Snare Drum/Triangle/Cymbals/Bass Drum • Violins I • Violins II • Violas • Cellos • Basses
||Mainz: B. Schott's Söhne, 1934. Plate 34001a.|
Reissued: Mainz: B. Schott's Söhne, 1962.
||Converted to monochrome and cleaned of marks. Violins II and Basses scans do not have the newly engraved title or 1962 renewal date. This file is based on high-resolution images obtained from the source using a method explained on this page.
Boston Symphony Orchestra; Carlo Maria Giulini (conductor) (28:47)
||Mathis der Maler Symphony
||Symphonie „Mathis der Maler"
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
- I. Engelkonzert
- II. Grablegung
- III. Versuchung des heiligen Antonius
- "Ubi eras, bone Jhesu/ ubi eras, quare non affuisti/ ut sanares vulnera mea?"
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1933/34 November-Feburary, Berlin
||1934-03-12 in Berlin
- Berlin Philharmonic, Wilhelm Furtwängler (conductor)
||1934 - Mainz: Schott (facsimile of the composer's manuscript)
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Orchestra: 2 flutes (2nd also piccolo), 2 oboes, 2 clarinets (B♭), 2 bassoons|
4 horns (F), 2 trumpets (C), 3 trombones, tuba, timpani, percussion (3 players), strings
- bass drum, snare drum, triangle, small cymbals, cymbals,
small and large suspended cymbals, glockenspiel
||Mathis der Maler (Opera)
- Music subsequently used in the opera of the same name (q.v.) Plate no. BSS 34000a was apparently first used for the autograph facsimile (65p.), according to Stephen Hinton in SW (Sämtliche Werke) 11/2 (p. 184), but was later applied to a 100-page full score as well. The edition no. 3509 (Schott London: 3509a) and plate number BSS 34052 have been applied to both the 90 and 100-page miniature scores.
- -Paul Hindemith: A Research and Information Guide
- From the Opera of the same name, each movement come from the following parts of the Opera:
- I. Engelkonzert (The overture)
- II. Grablegung (Orchestral interlude from the last act)
- III. Versuchung des heiligen Antonius (Orchestral piece reworked and amplified into a visionary scene in Scene 6 of the Opera)
- -Cited from Wikipedia