1st version (S.276/1)
2nd version (S.276/2)
Arrangements and Transcriptions
For Piano solo (Liszt)
- See: Buch der Lieder II, S.535–540 (No.2)
- Salute to Liszt Concert in Jordan Hall, New England Conservatory, Boston, January, 2011.
||Was tun? (Wie flieh’n, sagten sie) / How, they said
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
||S.276/1 ; LW.N12/1 (1st version)|
S.276/2 ; LW.N12/2 (2nd version)
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1842 (1st version)|
1849–59 (2nd version)
||1844 (1st version)|
1859 (2nd version)
||Victor Hugo (1802-1885), French text|
Victor Massé (1822–1884), German translation (1st version)
||German / French (1st version)|
French (2nd version)
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Voice and piano
||The Lied, Art Song, and Choral Texts Archive|
All Music Guide
- Composed for soprano or tenor voice and piano, 1842 (= 1st version, S.276/1)
- Published 1844 by Schlesinger (Berlin)
- Published 1985 by Editio Musica Budapest (Budapest)
- Revised 1849–59 (= 2nd version, S.276/2)
- Published 1859 by Schlesinger (Berlin)
Hugo's poem had the title "Autre guitare"; the poem was set by several other composers, including Saint-Saëns, Lalo, etc., sometimes as "Guitare" or with similar titles (as noted in the notes to the recordings of those other songs on Hyperion Records- where the Liszt connection is mentioned- and at Recmusic.org as above).