: schmidt symphony no 2
||Holograph manuscript, n.d.(ca.1911-13)
- Allegretto con variazioni. Einfach und zart (10 variations)
- Finale. Langsam
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1913-12-03 in Vienna, Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde
- Court Opera Orchestra, Franz Schalk (conductor)
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Early 20th century
- piccolo, 3 flutes, 2 oboes, English horn, 3 clarinets (B♭),
- E♭ clarinet, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, contrabassoon
- 8 horns, 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba
timpani, bass drum, side drum, cymbals, triangle, tambourine, tam-tam, strings
||All Music Guide|
Preface by Christoph Schlüren
Wikipedia article (all 4 symphonies)
Wikipedia article on 2nd symphony (German)
Instrumentation from notes to new Naxos recording.
In 1972 Universal Edition published a revised edition prepared by the Franz Schmidt-Gemeinde, Austria and Karl Trötzmüller. Musikproduktion-Höflich released a reissue of this 1972 publication (not the 1914 first edition full score & parts) in 2013. The preface to the 1972 edition notes that Schmidt did not review the proofs of the 1914 score and parts, that they were not used or usable in preparing the 1972 edition given the number of differences between the autograph score and the first edition.