Talk:Divertimento in E-flat major, Hob.II:6 (Haydn, Joseph)
Free public domain sheet music from IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library
(Redirected from Talk:Divertimento in E-flat major (Haydn, Joseph))
Edition by Karl Geiringer
Only a few points taken from the (German) preface:
- 'This string quartet (sic!) was composed at the same time as Haydn's first quartets. Numerous stylistic characteristics prove it.... '
- The number of movements and it's characteristics are those of a divertimento.
- Some editions from the 18th century (Amsterdam: J.J.Hummel, London: Longman and Broderip, London: Bremner) combined this work together with those quartets nos.1-4 and 6 to „op1“.
- So this piece is one of Haydn's first quartets or even the first one at all.
- Simultaneous French editions (especially La Chevardière, Paris) replaced it by the (known today) 5th quartet in B-flat major.
- This quartet (in E-flat major) hasn't been published for more than 100 years - it's nearly unknown today (1931).
- This edition bases on the comparison of the original publications (from the collection of A. van Hoboken).
--Ralph Theo Misch 22:22, 28 April 2011 (UTC)