||B. ben-Levi, D. Battista
||33 Year old tape transfer to .mp3. Cleaned up clicks and pops in Wavelab and compressed a bit (sorry the last song had some tape damage and is garbled in a couple places)
||Thomas Hardy Song Cycle
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
- 1. The Sergeants Song
- In more popular English style to suit the poem
- 2. 1967
- Hardy (1867) musing on life in 100 years
- 3. So Time
- Finished Mar-10-1980
- 4. Christmas 1924
- Just a dissonant backdrop to a serious and still timely statement
- 5. The Lizard
- The most dissonant song in the cycle
- 6. Her Song
- 7. At the Piano
- 8. She at His Funeral
- Short but perhaps the most expressive in the cycle. A funeral dirge.
- 9. I Travel as a Phantom Now
- A rhythmic romp to end the cycle. In a popular 3+3+2 meter.
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||April 7,1981, Temple University
||Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
Song Cycle written in 1980 for doctoral recital uses various styles to suit the poems it is based on. Hardy (English/EU) died in 1928 so there should be no copyright issues.