When dealing with public domain music, I don't consider the following additions to confer any copyright on the music:
- Adding dynamics, ties, slurs, courtesy accidents and other indications on the basis of analogies.
- Adding metronome markings (but with Beethoven and later I should distinguish my own markings from those of the composer—as late as Bruckner composers didn't always put in metronome markings).
- Realizing the figured bass
- Realizing the figured bass after adding in figures where none are extant (and in any case my figures are more detailed than the figures the piece would have had originally, since many things were taken for granted).
- Adding piano fingerings (but since I'm not good enough of a pianist, I probably won't be doing any of that).
(This page will be pointed at from PDF files).