Ravel: Serenade Grotestque
Maurice, I just came across your upload of Serenade Grotesque and I must warn you this file will probably be removed as it is not in the public domain because although it was one of his earlier compositions, it was only first published by Salabert in 1975. I have already uploaded all Ravel works in the public domain except Daphnis et Chloe (coming soon). Daphnis 10:53, 6 August 2007 (EDT)
- Also, your Berio folksongs are also not in the public domain as he died in 2003. I would recommend that you thoroughly read the page on Canadian copyright so that you don't spend much time scanning/uploading works that will inevitably have to be removed. Daphnis 11:22, 6 August 2007 (EDT)
Firstly thank you for warning. But I'm not Canadian and not in Canada, so maybe it's not a current limit for me. Also, I'm not scanning, Berio and "Serenade" I exactly downloaded from somewhere else. So if there's problem, it hasn't been my responsibility. I'd ask the original uploader for the copyright punishment.
I've just been supporting the IMSLP, and materials can be removed if anything wrong. I don't care. Copyright policy is rather lenient here in my country, so I'm able to upload some rare scores which are copyright protected in many country but not here. Does it matter?
- Hi Maurice. Yes, it actually does matter because the copyright policy is a limitation for us here at IMSLP according to on which server the file is hosted. Since the two main servers are located in Canada, anything being hosted on that server must follow Canadian copyright rules. IMSLP also has a server in the US for those files which are public domain in the US but not in Canada. Moreover, the person who originally scanned the work from their personally owned copy is not in violation of copyright, however in the case of the Serenade Grotesque, it is not public domain in Canada nor anywhere else in the world and so it cannot be hosted by any IMSLP servers. I understand your frustration as I have many works I would love to upload but cannot due to active copyrights (the remainder of Ravel's complete works, Poulenc's complete works, many Satie scores, etc. etc.), but we must be careful about what we host, otherwise carelessness regarding copyright could get this place shut down, and we certainly don't want that! Regards. Daphnis 21:11, 6 August 2007 (EDT)
Dear Daphnis, I now understand, thanks for explaining. So do you mean I should delete those scores now? If so, I'll do right now. But sometimes I don't know whether it's in the public domain, I also have uploaded Rachmaninoff's <Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43>. Rach died in 1943, and I think it won't be still protected?...
- Which country are you in? Your reply time seems strange...Maurice nuit
- There should be no need in deleting the scores as the administrators will probably catch these and remove them on their own. If you can't tell which things are public domain or not, but sure you read the explanation of how public domain works here: http://imslp.org/wiki/Public_domain
Yes, the Rachmaninoff Rapsody is in public domain.
I live on the east coast of the US. Daphnis 07:55, 7 August 2007 (EDT)
I know it's +50 or +70 years, but I don't know when it was first published. For example, Ravel's Serenade Grotestque, Ravel died in 1937, it's been 70 years so far, but you said it was first published in 1975...That's what I cannot get to know. Maurice nuit
- In Canada, the term is life + 50 years while in the EU it's life + 70 years. Some of Ravel's works were never published during his lifetime, for example the Serenade Grotesque, his first sonata for violin and piano, several of his songs, and an early overture for Sheherazade. Because these were not published in his lifetime, Canadian law grants 50 years from the time of first copyright for this type of material. Since many of these were first published by Salabert in 1975, they would be public domain in Canada on 1 January 2026.Daphnis 20:01, 7 August 2007 (EDT)
- Ok, I see. Thank you. Maurice nuit
BGA missing pages
I can provide you with your missing pages. Do you need? Maurice nuit
- Hi Maurice! We would be very much interested in the missing BGA pages! Are you going to scan them from your BGA score, or do you have already scanned files? --Feldmahler 11:01, 8 August 2007 (EDT)
I have, in fact, already scanned all of the BGA, indeed including those pages. Pease give me a full list of the missing pages, and I'll try to find them and upload them here.Maurice nuit
- Wow... in that case there may be more to it than just missing pages :) Do you think your scan quality is higher than the current BGA scans? If so we can even resubmit all the BGA scans with your version... and you don't have to be the one to do it (we'll have a project like the current BGA one); it'd be fine as long as you provide the scans themselves in some format. There has been complaints of quality issues with the current BGA scans.
- Of course, I understand entirely if you think this is too much trouble, or would prefer to not do it for some other reason. :) In that case, there is a list with a few missing pages on the BGA project page. I'll add more as people encounter them. --Feldmahler 03:55, 11 August 2007 (EDT)
- It's hard to say if my quality is better...But I'm willing to upload complete volumes. It seems that only v.44 you haven't finished? I can upload v.44 right now. And you'll see the quality and decide if you need my version. Also missing pages I can provide. The only problem is, my version is whole volumes and just too massive (about 50Mb+ each)to upload. Shall I just start upload now? Maurice nuit
- It'd be nice if you could upload one or two pages first, of something that is already on IMSLP, so the quality can be compared :) --Feldmahler 05:09, 11 August 2007 (EDT)
I've uploaded BGA Band 1 Cantata BWV.2 ,I wrote "a test version" for File Description on your Cantatas_BWV_1-10_(Bach,_Johann_Sebastian)#.7B.7B.23imslpmsg:musicfiles.7D.7D. Please see and reply quickly ! I think the quality is a little better but the file mass is smaller.
- If it helps, I'll start uploading on Monday. Maurice nuit
- Hmm... I think the quality is similar enough that a complete resubmission is not necessary. However, it would be extremely helpful if you could resubmit the pieces that have missing files (i.e. entire file)! :) You can just submit them like the original one, except with a note in the "Misc. Notes" section saying that the file contains the missing pages. Afterwards, you can start a line on the BGA project page called "Fixed:", and move the fixed book/page numbers from the "List of missing or distorted pages:" line to the "Fixed:" line. I will be adding missing pages to the missing pages line when people report them :) --Feldmahler 01:43, 12 August 2007 (EDT)
I've looked over my version, very unfortunately that our versions are the same, that means they contains the same missing pages. I'm very sorry and I'll try to look for complete version.Maurice nuit
Sorry for disturbing.Well, I am not quite sure should i request something in this area.However, I really could not find any link to contact Daphnis(and again, I don't know is this talk belong to Daphnis's page).
Erm, I am interested with Respishi's music recently, but too bad the score for his ancient dances and airs for lute cant be accessed in my country or maybe removed by the administator.So, do you mind to send me a copy of his suite no.2?
Thanks a lot.
- This talk page belongs to Maurice nuit and not myself. As far as unblocking or emailing the second suite is concerned, you'll have to wait for a bit longer when these files become available again. It shouldn't be too much longer. I don't email files to individuals.Daphnis 09:49, 5 October 2008 (EDT)
- Glad to meet every one of you again! If you do want the Respighi's score, I CAN send it to you. So please leave your Email address. By the way, your English seems a bit strange. You aren't a native English speaker, are you? Maurice nuit
Haha,as you can see my English is far poorer than you all.I am a Chinese.
Well, anyway, thanks for your help.
My email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sorry for disturbing again.Erm, may i know have you send the score yet?
Sorry that I haven't seen your reply until today. I've sent it just now. Please use “Arias" instead of "Airs".Maurice nuit