'Warszawskie Towarzystwo Muzyczne' (The Warsaw Musical Society) has promoted Polish music since 1871. Władysław Wiślicki was the first organizer, and the founding committee consisted of the composers Stanisław Moniuszko, Józef Sikorski,
Ignacy Krzyżanowski, Adam Münchheimer, Wilhelm Troschel, and Józef Wieniawski .
The first publication was a piano 4 hand arrangement of Stanisław Moniuszko's Sonety Krymskie in 1874. From 1906 they published the first Polish-language musicological journal, "Kwartalnik Muzyczny".
In 1925 they started the Chopin piano competition and in 1927 the Wieniawski violin competition.They also orgaized a musical academy and promoted many monuments to Moniuszko, Chopin and Karlowicz.