G.M. Meyer was founded on June 1, 1828 in Braunschweig (Brunswick), Germany by Gottfried Martin Meyer (1801-47) and his wife Juliane (1815-?). After Meyer's death in 1849, Juliane continued running the business, which expanded greatly during her brief marriage (1851-8) to the uxorious composer and pianist Henry Charles Litolff (1818-1891). The name then changed, in 1856, to Litolff.
G.M. Meyer published almost the whole output of 60 works by the short-lived Alexander Fesca (1820—1849) , and some works by Reinecke, Wieniawski and others.