Christoph Bachmann started a musical goods store, lending library, and publishing company in Hannover in 1819. At some point in the 1820s he went into partnership with local businessman (Georg Wilhelm) Adolph Nagel (1800–1873), publishing under the name Bachmann & Nagel until the end of 1834. In 1835 he sold the store and library to Nagel, but continued publishing.
Bachmann's firm was a success, becoming one of the longest surviving small publishers, functioning for nearly 100 years. The catalog was typical of the period: piano pieces and songs; pieces for cello (Friedrich August Kummer and Karl Matys), violin (Chr. Muller and Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst), and horn (Karl Daniel Lorenz); and at least one opera by Heinrich Marschner.
Bachmann's plate numbers appear in the format of #### and appear to have been issued in a fairly regular chronological fashion. Dates in italics are estimated.
|31||Matys||4 Solostücke, Op.15 (nº2, sc&pt, 2d ed)||1891|
|378||Lorenz||Andante mit Variationen||1848|
|600||Raff||Aus der Schweiz, Op.57||1853|
|647||Lorenz||Der Abschied, Op.11||1855|
|811||Thieriot||4 Stücke, Op.6||1861|