Founded on June 1, 1828 in Braunschweig (Brunswick), Germany by Gottfried Martin Meyer and his wife. After Meyer's death in 1849, his widow continued running the business, which was to expand greatly after she married the composer and pianist Henry Charles Litolff (1818-1891) in 1851. Litolff brought important contacts with composers like Berlioz, Bülow, Fetis, Heller, Joachim, Liszt, Moscheles, and the Wieniawski brothers. Meyer's son Theodor Litolff (1839-1912), who was adopted by Litolff, took over the business when Litolff divorced his mother in 1858. Theodor was an igenious inventor, improving high-speed presses and using zinc plates for music engraving. The famous Litolff editions of Beethoven's works was initiated in 1862, and the series Litolffs Bibliothek Classischer Compositionen, a carefully edited series of classic works, was launched two years later. The firm passed to Theodor's son Richard (1876-1937) in 1912, and was ultimately sold to C. F. Peters in 1940 by Richard's widow. In 1950 the Collection Litolff moved to Frankfurt with Peters. Peters continues to use the Litolff imprint to the present day.
In uploading and evaluating Litolff scores, remember that "Collection Litolff" in the bottom of the page indicates an Edition Number, not a plate, and a date after 1863.
- Beethoven: Piano Sonatas. plates 1649-1680 / ed.number 2731. editor unknown, 1869
- Beethoven: Piano Sonatas. Ed. by L. Winkler, 1872.
- Beethoven: Piano Sonatas. Ed. by Germer, 1891. Ed no. 1980a-c
- Beethoven: Piano Sonatas. Ed. by Clemens Schultze-Biesantz, 1907. Plate nos. 248, 301.
Imprints, Agencies, Addresses
- 1828-1855 - G.M. Meyer
- 1856-1864 - Henry Litolff’s Verlag
- 1864-present - Collection Litolff
- 1940-1950 - Collection Litolff (Leipzig)
- 1950-present - Collection Litolff (Frankfurt)
(Henry Litolff's Verlag)