Other website lists and guides
Universities and Libraries
Unless otherwise stated all other American libraries have large collections of 19th C. popular American music and a few classical scores, in low resolution.
- Complete online edition of the Neue Mozart Ausgabe (New Mozart Complete Edition)!
- Large collection of Schubert autographs. Watermarked.
- Sibelius Academy Nearly 1000 color pdf files (mostly manuscripts) including hundreds of manuscripts of Erkki Melartin. (Use Template SAK)
- Massive collection of scans, among which fast-growing collection of scores, among which several Gesamtausgaben (Handel, Liszt, Mendelssohn).
- Offerered by Klassik Stiftung Weimar. Click 'Suche' to see the search form in German.
- Instrumental music for the Dresdener Hofkapelle (Quantz, Telemann, Graun)
- Scores in PDF or JPG format can be found by searching the online catalog.
- Grieg scores (Manuscripts)
Sheet Music Projects
New Compositions and Arrangements
- Calm-Down-Corner Michael Odenkirchen's short piano pieces. With sound recordings.
- Fabio Machado Arrangements and retypeset scores (mainly for Mandolin) and some scores from other websites.
- Majestic pipes.com Organ music composed by Jim Leonard (licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 3.0).
- Jay Lichtman, Hartford University Brass chamber music arrangements. "All sheet music may be freely distributed without restriction."
- Robert Lavigne. Compositions, transcriptions and arrangements. With MP3, MIDI and engraving files (Sibelius).
- Leo Ornstein. Some works already on imslp.
- Wiering Software About 10 arrangements for string quartet
- DichMusik Arne Dich's compositions and arrangements.
- copy-us More than 500 modern works.
- Benjamins Crowell's Modern arrangements for strings, with engraving files (LilyPond).
- Starmole Modern, commercial.
- John Bladen A few organ and flute arrangements
- Sekishi Recorder Quartet Arrangements for recorder quartet, with MIDI and MP3 files.
- LoveSchubert Arrangements for recorder ensembles, mith MIDI files.
- Paul Butler Renaissance, arrangements, with MIDI files.
- Eva Toller Arrangements for choir.
- Peter Billam Compositions and arrangements
- Christoph Dalitz Compositions, arrangements and transcriptions.
- Transkriptionen für Gitarre Guitar arrangements.
- The Musick Cabinet Various arrangements and a few scans.
- SCA Dance Database Search Engine Early music for 4 instruments.
- Philip Perry Arrangements for bass recorder.
- Aeolian Consort Early music arranged for recorders.
- John Goodin Arrangements for mandolin.
- Zoltan Pauliny Compositions, mainly for violin. Commercial.
New Engravings and Typesets
- HymnWiki Hymn scores with MIDI and engraving files (LilyPond)
- Música del Sur Southamerican music scores on line (guitar, piano, orchestra and chamber music)
- Tobi's Notenarchiv Retypeset sheet music from Bach, Mozart and other composers (licensed under Creative Commons BY-NC 3.0).
- e-partitions Mainly scores for organ
- Nicola Ferroni editions Organ and vocal scores, ca.1600
- Nénuvar Éditions Nicolas Sceaux. About 20 Baroque works with engraving files (LilyPond)
- Danish Centre for Music Publication
- QUICS Vocal pieces, ca.1600.
- Musica Antica (Italian) Still a score website?
- Alain Naigeon for recorder, Renaissance, with engraving files (Encore).
- The band music of Amilcare Ponchielli Scores and parts
- MAB soloists 1300-1700 vocal pieces with engraving files (MusiXTeX).
- Project Runeberg. Baroque, northern Europe. Some scores already on imslp.
- Ensemble vocal Arenaï. French, Renaissance, with MIDI files.
- La Note Sensible. For choir. Excerpts only. Complete scores on request.
- Órgãos de Portugal. Portuguese organ pieces, ca. 1600.
- CCARH Bach, Händel, Mozart, Vivaldi.
- Ottaviano Petrucci Renaissance, transcribed for recorders.
- Gregor & Taube Gregorian chant.
- Hans Mons Dulcian scores and parts, 1500-1700.
- another Hans Mons collection other instruments, 1500-1700
- Tomás Luis de Victoria and other Spanish composers, with engraving files (LilyPond)
- Musica Sacra Church Music Association of America.
- Sarge Gerbode Lute tablatures, with engraving files (Fronimo, TAB)
- Serpent Publications Renaissance, with engraving files (LilyPond, ABC)
- ABC ARCHIVE OF EARLY MUSIC Lute tablatures in PostScript format, with engraving files (ABC).
- Yann Legallic For recorder ensemble.
- MuseData Only engraving files (MuseData) and MIDI
- The Harpsichord Music of Antonio Soler with MIDI and MP3.
- Arno Rog Bach and Buxtehude cantatas. Very slow because the main page fetches a lot of unnecessary images.
- Stiftskirche Lindau am Bodensee Baroque church music.
- Jacques Duphly Typeset by Pierre Gouin. Now entirely on imslp.
- Manfreds Notenpool Church songs. Only engraving files (Finale). Some PDFs available on CPDL.
- Grupo Vocal Sólo Voces Vocal scores.
- Ensemble baroque DOLCE TEMPO Vocal scores. Search 'partition' in this page.
- Cipoo.net Vocal scores with MIDI and engraving files (NWC).
- Computerized Mensural Music Editing Project Viewing the scores seems complicated but has engraving files (XML).
- Oliver Nicolson A few choir and organ scores.
- Classicaland scores retypeset by Alessandro Simonetto. Some scans too.
- Free Sheet Music.de Piano music. Beware: tries to cause you to install strange applications
- Jean-François Delcamp Classical works for guitar with videos.
- Project Gutenberg, sheet music section. Some pieces have only the engraving files (Finale or XML).
Original Scanned Music Providers
Not yet sorted
- Just Classical Guitar
- Musicaviva Over 1000 titles for brass instruments and well organized links
- Bibliothèque numérique de partitions de musique Keyboard instruments, lute, guitar, facsimile. ca.1300 scores, some copied from other sites. Beautiful baroque organ music editions!
- Rowynet Classical and folk
- Pianopublicdomain.com Log-in is required, haven't tried it yet.
- An Ukrainian Music Library
- Classical Scores.com Has scans and retypesets from other sites e.g. Mutopia and many commercial links.
- The Hymns and Carols of Christmas Public domain scans of christmas music and hymns.
- Big collection of scores of piano music by Alkan.
- Abraham Espinosa's Site
- pianosociety.com Still a score website?
- Mauro Giuliani (1781-1828), copied from other sites
- lykhin Another Russian One
- Dmitry Ralko
- Kreusch Sheet Music - original scans?
- Clarinet Institute of Los Angeles has scans and retypesets
- partita.ru - wind music
- Russian Site with Music for Contrabass or English translation
- RagtimePiano.ca - old and rare ragtime music, apparently PD. Contains links to other sites in addition to original scans.
- Zither.us - Compositions for the Zither - arrangements and original compositions, about 250, PD-US, probably almost entirely PD-CA/PD-EU given the time of flourishing of the instrument (once very popular - according to HMB also)
- Kölnklavier - About 25 semi-scanned, semi-retypeset German methods, 1700-1900.
- Mike's Private Piano Music Archive small collection of scans.
- La Folia, a musical cathedral a web site edited by Paul Gabler as an effort to list all derivations and interpretations of the famous theme La Folia.
Commercial providers of public domain music
PD scans only
Retypeset, copyrighted editions only
most websites offer free samples
Includes both categories
Other score resources
- Score Exchange The Scorch plugin is required. Lots of Free and non free scores. They can't be downloaded, but only viewed or printed
- Finale Showcase Lots of free scores in .MUS format; Finale, or the free version Finale Reader is required
- Pianofiles Sheet music trading forum
Other information resources
- Worldcat Searches the catalogues of more than 10,000 libraries in the world.
- The European Library Searches the catalogues of 48 European national and university libraries.
- Digitized scores sometimes show up in the results - most often from BSB (MDZ) - click Access Online in the right column.
- University of Queensland A selection of national and university libraries offering an online public access catalogue (OPAC).
- List at WIMA A similar selection.
- Carl Friedrich Whistling, Handbuch der Musikalischen Literatur.... First issued in 1817 to list music then available in print and covering the period from about 1780 until 1815. Ten supplements were issued from 1818 until 1827. In 1828 a second edition of the Handbuch was issued. In 1829, Whistling issued a supplement to the 1828 edition and then started issuing monthly updates, the Monatsbericht, which was soon taken over by Hofmeister.
- Hofmeister Monatsbericht
- Monthly publication 1829-1900 giving details of publisher issues of over 330,000 titles.
- Mirror ONB (Austria National Library) hosted - has scans of images of the pages of each(?) month of the published Monatsberichte from 1829 to 1947, without the search feature or text transcriptions of their official site but with greater range.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library currently has eight volumes of the Hofmeister Monatsbericht from the 1890s that are searchable. Additional volumes in their collection are non PD-US and support only a limited search.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library currently has searchable volumes for the years 1858-1863, 1877-1888, and 1890-1908. Those that are non PD-US support only a limited search. Hathi Trust's PD-US volumes are available on IMSLP.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library currently has searchable volumes for the years 1845-1859, 1868-1885, 1892-1918. Additional volumes covering the years from 1919 to 1933 support only a limited search. Hathi Trust's PD-US volumes are available on IMSLP.
- Franz Pazdírek, Universal-Handbuch der Musikliteratur aller Zeiten und Völker. Produced between 1904 and 1910 the volumes serve as a listing of "music in print." Apparently, 34 volumes were produced but it seems possible that later printings combined volumes as some editions claim 13 volumes.