This work is likely not in the public domain in the US (due to first publication with the required notice after 1922, plus renewal or "restoration" under the GATT/TRIPS amendments), nor in the EU and those countries where the copyright term is life+70 years. However, it is public domain in Canada (where IMSLP is hosted) and in other countries (China, Japan, S. Korea) where the copyright term is life+50 years.
Please obey the copyright laws of your country. IMSLP does not assume any sort of legal responsibility or liability for the consequences of downloading files that are not in the public domain in your country.
||Symphony in B-flat major
||Symphony in B-flat for Concert Band
- Moderately fast, with vigor ( = 88-92)
- Andantino grazioso ( = 56)
- Fugue: Rather broad ( = 100)
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1951 Feburary to March, New Haven
||1951-04-05 in Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Army Band, Paul Hindemith (conductor)
||*See Misc. Comments
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Concert Band |
- piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, solo clarinet (B♭), 3 clarinets (B♭),
- clarinet (E♭), alto clarinet (E♭), bass clarinet (B♭), 2 bassoons
- 2 alto saxophones (E♭), tenor saxophone (B♭), baritone saxophone (E♭)
4 horns (F), solo cornet (B♭), 3 cornets (B♭), 2 trumpets (B♭)
- 3 trombones, baritone (B.C.), 2 basses (tubas)
- timpani, percussion (3 players)
- bass drum, snare drum, triangle, cymbals, tambourine, glockenspiel
No dedication on published score, but written for Capt. Hugh Curry and the U.S. Army band.
- -Paul Hindemith: A Research and Information Guide