The Sacred Harp (Various)
Improved and Enlarged edition
Benjamin Franklin White, and others.
Philadelphia: S. C. Collins, 1860.
Low-quality colour scan. Some pages are in the wrong order - this seems to have occurred in creating the PDF.
1911 James Edition "Original Sacred Harp"
Joseph Stephen James (1849-1931) (and others in the editing committee)
Atlanta: J.S. James, 1911.
The largest edition of the Sacred Harp, fore-runner of the 1936 Denson edition (the direct ancestor of the current 1991 edition). This is famous for its "cheese notes" (see notes to song No.82, top, for explanation), some of which contain errors (for example attributions to Chopin rather than Chapin, and Sir John Stevenson rather than Joseph Stephenson of Poole)
|Work Title||The Sacred Harp|
|Alternative Title||The Sacred Harp; A Collection of Psalm and Hymn Tunes, Ode and Anthems|
|Instrumentation||3 voices; 4 voices|
|External Links|| |
The Sacred Harp has a complicated history, meaning that there are now 3 books in use that are descended from the original 1844 publication (the White book being the least used today). These 3 books share a great deal of the same material, but differ in their added alto parts, texts set, new songs that have been added and others that have been removed.
A few other books of the period shared the same title.
- 1844 - The Sacred Harp, edited by Benjamin Franklin White and Elisha J. King.
- 1850 - Revision, adding an Appendix of new songs
- 1859/60 - Revision, adding to the Appendix
- 1869 - Revision, adding new music and removing the least-used songs
- 1897 - reprinted by James Landrum White and Charles P. Byrd
- 1884 - The New Sacred Harp - edited by James Landrum White and Benjamin Franklin White, Jr. - A 7-shape tunebook, sharing only 20% of its music with the older editions. Unsuccessful.
- 1902 - The Sacred Harp - Cooper Revision, edited by Wilson M. Cooper - songs removed, new songs and Rudiments, alto parts added. "Cooper Book" or "Blue Book" after the later colour of the cover.
- 1907 - revised
- 1909 - revised
- 1927 - revised
- 1949/50 - revised - The B.F. White Sacred Harp
- 1960 - revised
- 1988 - reprinted
- 1992 - revised, some new typesetting
- 2000 - revised, some new typesetting
- 2006 - revised, some new typesetting
- 2012 - entirely re-typeset and heavily revised (many parts re-written and songs transposed) - The Sacred Harp - Revised Cooper edition - The Sacred Harp Book Company
- 1909 - The Sacred Harp - Fifth edition, edited by James Landrum White. An unsuccessful publication, not used today. White attempted to modernise and correct the harmonies.
- 1911 - The Sacred Harp - Fourth Edition with Supplement, edited by James Landrum White. Contains 597 songs. Very few alto parts. "White Book".
- 1946 - reprinted
- 2007 - entirely re-typeset and revised (all alto parts put into treble clef at the sung octave), no songs added or removed.
- 1911 - Original Sacred Harp, edited by Joseph (Joe) Stephen James. Rudiments re-written, many alto parts added. Very few songs removed.
- 1921 - revised, corrected and enlarged
- 1936 - Original Sacred Harp - Denson Revision, edited by Seaborn McDaniel Denson and Thomas Denson. "Denson Book" or "Red Book" after the colour of the 1991 cover (actually burgundy).
- 1960 - revised
- 1967 - revised
- 1971 - revised
- 1991 - entirely re-typeset and revised (J.S. James' historical comments on tunes removed) - The Sacred Harp - 1991 edition - The Sacred Harp Publishing Company
- 1934 - The Colored Sacred Harp, compiled by Judge Jackson. Contains 77 songs by composers from the African-American Sacred Harp singing community. Usually used in addition to the Cooper book or other books at singings.
- 1973 - reprinted
- 1982 - revised
- 1992 - revised