Hi Egknob, I think Emeraldimp meant whether or not you have gotten permission from the heir(s) of Glenn Gould (who own the copyright to the piece) to redistribute the scan... I understand that Gould has given permission for performing groups to reprint the score, but it might be problematic for IMSLP, since IMSLP is not a performing group... so I'm putting the page on Copyright Review, which means that if you can't provide permission from the author in a while I will have to remove the file :/
While I do not think the Gould estate would sue over this piece (it is reproduced by performing groups anyway), it still violates copyright laws unfortunately... --Feldmahler 22:06, 11 March 2007 (EDT)
- Correction: Emeraldimp seems to have already put the page on Copyright Review... --Feldmahler 22:08, 11 March 2007 (EDT)
Oh! What I Did! =/
Am I in trouble? My intention was just improve, increase...
Everybody knows Gould as a pianist, but his works are usually unknown.. I posted this file to share a great discover! An pearl! I think you understood what I mean, right? Egknob 22:29, 11 March 2007 (EDT)
- Believe me, I understand completely... but unfortunately there are things in the world that don't work out :( Oh, and, you're not in trouble... I'll just remove the file and the page and you're fine :) --Feldmahler 22:34, 11 March 2007 (EDT)
- Ooh, I know! We could start a performing group, and have people record their parts in all the separate corners of the world, and then put them together... Ok, so logistically, it's a nightmare, but a neat idea... ;-) And I hope I wasn't too harsh with this; I just want to protect IMSLP because it is such a great resource. --Emeraldimp 11:24, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
- That would be interesting indeed ;) In fact, if what you proposed actually happened, IMSLP would be in the clear legally to redistribute the scan (seriously) :) It doesn't even have to be a group of IMSLP contributors; it can just be any single IMSLP contributor who is also part of a performing group that did a recording of that piece... --Feldmahler 11:37, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
Well... I have 4 friends (here in Porto Alegre, Brazil), 4 singers... (I study at UFRGS, "Bachelor Degree" in Piano(?) (i really don't know how to say it in english :P)) that will sing that with me in a Recital at the end of this year... we have to record it, and then I can put that here? I loved the idea, althought I think you have been kind of ironic..."harsh", hehe, never mind... My intention was share a music that is hardly heard at concert halls... but you can hear it on the "Glenn Gould - The Composer" CD. hehe
everything is all right now, i suppose? Egknob 22:18, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
- Actually, Emeraldimp has already contacted the Gould estate asking for permission (see here). It'd be much better if the Gould estate actually granted IMSLP permission! It'd really set a great example :) --Feldmahler 22:21, 12 March 2007 (EDT)
You recently submitted files that do not seem to be in public domain. IMSLP only accepts works that are not copyrighted. Please visit Public Domain for more information about the public domain. Tips for determining the publication date of your score can be found on IMSLP:Contributing scores.
If your submission was in public domain, please add relevant information about the publication to the file page. Copyrighted files will be deleted.
I'm talking about Mahler's String Quartet: see the forum discussion. Cheers, Peter 12:42, 16 April 2007 (EDT)