Hello, I saw you're planning to scan the rhapsody in blue. Could you add some publication specifications if possible, because I have a piano version myself that I could scan. Thx, Peter 18:30, 10 December 2006 (EST)
It's a minature orchestral score, scored by Ferde Grofe, copyright is dated MCMXLII which translates to (i think) 1942. It's not yet in the public domain here, but will be on jan 1st i think. As there are several different arrangements availible having a selection availible might not be a bad idea esp. if either gershwins original 2 piano version or the original orchestrations are availible.--Matthew 17:41, 11 December 2006 (EST)
- Nice! Both the piano and orchestral versions should be much desired on IMSLP... after all, Rhapsody in Blue is one of the masterpieces that IMSLP still doesn't have. --Feldmahler
- Very nice. My 1-piano version, also by Gershwin, will complete te collection!--Peter 04:05, 12 December 2006 (EST)
- Im not sure, i've only got the '42 orchestration, there's also the original 2 piano version and the '24 and '26 orchestrations --Matthew 12:20, 12 December 2006 (EST)
- w00tw00t! I was so happy to read Gershwin's name on the 'to be PD' list! --Emeraldimp 12:19, 12 December 2006 (EST)
Copyright issues with the Grofe orchestration...
Hi Matthew! I'm sorry to inform you that the scan of Grofe's orchestration of Gershwin's Rhapsody you uploaded is not in the public domain in either the US or Canada :/ Because of this, I will have to remove the file from IMSLP. I understand that scanning it wasn't easy, but because Grofe died less than 50 years ago, and the score was published after 1923, it isn't in the public domain in either US or Canada.
I'm very sorry about this... --Feldmahler 01:01, 6 January 2007 (EST)
- As this was publised in 1942 would it be covered by 1923-1963 copyright law in the US, i've checked the renewal records availible online and there's a lot of gershwin stuff, numerous arrangements of rhapsody in blue, but not this orchestration anywhere i can find, so would that put it in the public domain? I haven't run grofe's name through the US copyright office's records yet though. No need to appologise for deleting it, i needed to scan it anyway and it's not much effort to upload, im just sorry i use this fantastic resource all the time and i've nothing to give back to it.--Matthew 18:02, 6 January 2007 (EST)
- Don't worry about not being able to give back! I'm sure that IMSLP contributors are happy as long as IMSLP is useful and of value to you. Giving back is always nice, but there are plenty of circumstances when that is hard or impossible, and so don't worry about it! :)
- About the copyright; more research needs to be done. My concern is that the sites might not list all the renewals... but we'll see. --Feldmahler 15:22, 9 January 2007 (EST)
I saw that you are responsible for letter H of the MIT Project!
I was just wondering if you could just write down your progress so far in the finished composers page of the project. It would give a better idea of the overall progress of the project.
~ jujimufu 11:54, 23 July 2007 (EDT)
- Hi Matthew. I'm a member working on the MIT project here and was wondering if you were still planning on working on the letter 'H' as you've indicated on the page? If not, could you update the page so someone else might step in and finish? We're progressing at a rapid pace and I'm hoping we might be able to finish in the next couple months. Thanks. Daphnis 17:45, 8 August 2007 (EDT)
- I've just looked at his user contributions and see nothing since July 11th, so if we don't get a response here in the next couple days we might as well just let someone else take over the letter.Mcroskell 17:52, 8 August 2007 (EDT)
- Agreed. Have you seen any uploads from the letter 'H' come through at all? Daphnis 17:59, 8 August 2007 (EDT)
- No, nothing from H has been posted as far as I'm aware. I actually just finished G today so unless we hear from Matthew soon, I can go ahead and take H.
- Nah, I'll take up letter H, as I have nothing else to do. Cheers, though! ~ jujimufu 20:33, 9 August 2007 (EDT)
- Sorry everyone, i've had problems with my internet connection (long story) which i think are cleared up now (hopefully) but i now no longer have much free time so i can't do much, but it looks like you've managed without me well enough.--Matthew 17:58, 10 August 2007 (EDT)