||Julian Rushton (b. 1941)
||New Edition of the Complete Works, Vol.12a (pp.280-285)|
Kassel: Bärenreiter-Verlag, 1991. Plate BA 5452/I.
This “urtext” or “scholarly” (scientific) edition was published at least 25 years ago in Germany and thus is public domain in its country of origin. Such editions are also public domain in Canada because they fail to meet the minimum ‘threshold of originality’ to qualify for copyright as an ‘adaptation’. It may not be public domain elsewhere, however. More information about this can be found here.
Please obey the copyright laws of your country. IMSLP does not assume any sort of legal responsibility or liability for the consequences of downloading files that are not in the public domain in your country.
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
||Op.2 No.2; H 40
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
||6 strophes (or just 1, 2, 3, and 6)
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
1844 (orchestral version) B
||1844/02/03 at Salle Herz B
||1830 (vocal score)|
1903 (full score)
||Thomas Moore (1779-1852), Irish Melodies|
Thomas Gounet (1801-1869), French translation
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Version A: 2 tenors, 2 basses (or male chorus (TTBB), piano|
Version B: 2 tenors, 2 basses (or male chorus (TTBB), orchestra
- oboe, 4 horns, timpani, strings
- Paris: January 1830, as Œuvre 2, No.2 (vocal score)
- Paris: 1863, H 40A included in Collection de 32 Mélodies: no. 8
- Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel, n.d., as part of Hector Berlioz Werke (1900–07), Serie VI, Band 14 (1903) and Serie VII, Band 16 (1904), edited by Charles Malherbe and Felix Weingartner
- Kassel: Bärenreiter, as part of New Berlioz Edition (1967–2005)
- H 40B in BA 5452/I, Volume 12a (1991), edited by Julian Rushton
- H 40A in BA 5455, Volume 15 (2005), edited by Ian Rumbold
Libretto at The Hector Berlioz Website