No files submitted.
||Lointains reflets, lointains rivages
||Unbridled reflections from afar
||Besset, Julian Raoul
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
- A l'ombre d'un i-faune / I Faun
- Tendresses chuchotées / Whispered affections
- Insistances / Insistance
- En tenues légères / Lightly clothed
- Accompagnements / Accompaniments
- Simulacre de combat / Mock battle
- Attaques et parades / Thrust and parry
- Angle d'attaque / Angle of attack
- Les temps de réflexion / Time to think
- Retour sur soi / Taking stock
- Le faune nostalgique / The home seeking faun
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Early 20th century
This piano suite was initially meant to be an essay in the late romantic style as a companion piece to Escapades romantiques. It departs therefore from the composer's usual mannerisms, in that it smacks of nostalgia, hence the tongue in the cheek title for the first piece and the word play in French title for the fourth (= lightly tied clothes ?). A further batch of 6 pieces were added shortly after the initial 4, of which a couple tend to abandon the original purpose in favour of brief outbursts of virtuosity. Escapades romantiques was modelled likewise, a fresh batch of pieces being added as an afterthought, but the present suite is devoid of slurs, articulations, contrary to its counterpart. The audio output of both suites as applied by the notation program Finale is a key element in the compositional process, for better or worse.
Nos 11 & 12 were added (Dec 5, 2019) as an afterthought in order to balance the set with its companion collection, which, with 10 pieces, was notably longer.