See my typeset work here.
See just my madrigal settings here.
- Comparative madrigals! Multiple settings of the same text by madrigal composers of different periods.
- I want to make new editions of all madrigals Al Folop has made, with texts. Category Walker Page
- (2022-11-10): 700 madrigals!
- (2022-11-06): 2,000 total pieces!
- (2022-08-27): 1,900 total pieces!
- (2022-05-26): I'm tired of getting in arguments with IMSLP staff over whether Frescobaldi pieces can be uploaded in partitura, as the originals mostly were, and if they are "arrangements", or whether parts can be supplied for other instruments. All new Frescobaldi typesets will only be available at DFWviols.com/typeset/girolamo_frescobaldi
- (2022-04-24): Monteverdi's complete Libro Secondo a 5 finished! (except for 1 piece, I started this last month)
- (early April): 1,800 pieces!
- (2021-11-27): Hardy's Taxi Cab # of separate IMSLP pieces
- (2021-11-07): [counting multi-part pieces each on their own, 2000 pieces! Al Folop did just less than 3000. I started 9 1/2 years ago, so I should match Folop within 5 years]
- (2021-10-30): 1,700 pieces!
- (2021-09-28): 600 madrigals! (or a little over, some aren't tagged yet)
- July: I took about 10 months off from typesetting to improve some technical skills. I intend to set again at least through the end of the year, in my free time
- (2020-09-16) 1,600 pieces!
- (2020-07-02) 1,500 pieces!
- (2020-06-07) Gabrieli 4-part 1576 collection finished!
- (2020-04-19) 1,400 pieces total! I've averaged 1 a day since Nov 2.
- (2020-01-??) 500 madrigals!
- (2018-09-26) 1,100 pieces!
- (2018-09-16) After 5 years of work, finished Willaert's Musica Nova madrigals!
- (2018-06-23) Finally got my 1000 pieces milestone.
- After doing no work from Nov 2016-July 2017, I've jumped back strongly into typesetting. Working on early viol consort music.
- (2016-09-01) 400 madrigals! Pretty close to finishing the Willaert Musica Nova, too.
- (2016-08-29) 930. 70 pieces left to go for year, can probably do it. Focusing on serious stuff. Not gonna transcribe small things to get to goal faster.
- (2016-06-03) 900! 60% through goal, plenty of time to reach year's goal.
- (2016-04-13) 850! 40% through 2016 goal, making good time.
- (2016-03-05) 800! Plus 20% of the way for my 2016 goal.
- (2015-12-31) 749 distinct pieces! Missed goal by 1. 15 hour shift involving 7 hr maintenance window screwed me up.
- (2015-10-15) 700 distinct pieces wooooo!
- (2015-08-30) 650 distinct pieces!
- (2015-07-11) 300 madrigal settings! Half of total output!
- (2015-07-06) 600 distinct pieces! Celebrated with a birthday madrigal by Marenzio for #600.
- (2015-06-02) 550 distinct uploads (or really, pages of pieces, because some are multiple parts)
- (2015-05-25) 250 madrigal settings! (at moment, several aren't tagged yet)
- (2014-12-21) 500 distinct uploads!! Woo woo!
- (2014-12-21) 200 madrigal settings! Just noticed!
- (2014-11-25) 450 pages! [burst of typesetting after getting laid off from Verizon. Started at Cisco first week of December]
- (2013-11-26) 400 pages of uploads!
- (2013-09-20) 350 separate pages of uploads
- (2013-08-10) 300 separate, distinct pages of stuff uploaded.
- (2013-05-23) 200 distinct pages of uploads
- (2013-04-24) 100 uploads total (most of the work done in past years)
Works in progress
Some stuff I may get back to:
- The 1577 bicinia publication by Lasso (50% uploaded--all the vocal pieces and one of the untexted)
- The First Book of Canzonets to two voyces by Thomas Morley (20% done)
- Il primo libro della musica a due voci (Gastoldi) (80% done, 60% uploaded)
- Il terzo libro de varie sonate di Salamon Rossi hebreo (40% uploaded)
- Canzoni per Sonare con ogni sorte di stromenti (Raverii) (40% uploaded--all 4 parts completed 2013-09-12)
- A special book, or books, of madrigal settings of from Orlando Furioso (about 18 pieces uploaded so far--see them in Category:Ariosto, Lodovico. Almost all the madrigals are my work.). I hope to make some clip art from the original 1535 edition to accompany the scores.
- Whatever else catches my fancy from day to day
Works partially typeset:
- Canti C (about 50% done, 40% uploaded)
- Canti B (about 65% done, 50% uploaded)
- Consort songs from the Dow partbooks (all the texted Byrd pieces done, 19 pieces uploaded)
- Playford's 1684 Division Violin (about 80% done--who knows if I'll ever get back to this?)
- Canzone Villanesche alla Napolitana di Adriano Willaert (90% done)
Works 100% completed
- Claudio Monteverdi's Libro secondo de madrigali (April 2022)
- Antonio Mortaro's Primo Libro de Canzoni (July 2020)
- Palestrina's 4th book of motets (all based on Song of Songs texts) (Summer 2020)
- Gabrieli's 4-voice Cantionum (May 2020)
- Musica Nova madrigals by Adrian Willaert (just the second half of collection. I've only done a few of the motets)
- Luca Marenzio's Il primo libro de madrigali a 6 (July 2016)
- Madrigali a 4 voci, libro primo by Luca Marenzio (100% DONE! fancy cover edition uploaded)
- Canzoni da Sonare a quattro et otto voci di Floriano Canale (100 % DONE! with fancy cover, AND with clip art in the blank parts, from a 1535 source, after a friend helped me figure out the gimp! 2013-07-16)
- Libro primo de canzoni da sonare a quattro voci di Florentio Maschera (100% DONE! With fancy cover!)
- Opera nova de Balli by Francesco Bendusi (100% DONE! with a fancy cover sheet on each part!)
- Giaches de Wert's L'ottavo Libro de madrigali a 5! (december 2014)
- Giaches de Wert's Il nono libro de madrigali a 5 et 6! (september 2018)
- Giaches de Wert's Il settimo libro de madrigali a 5! (september 2018)
- Gabrieli's Il primo libro de madrigali a 3 (November 2014)
- Luca Marenzio's Il primo libro de madrigali a 5 (december 2014)
- Luca Marenzio's Il seconda libro de madrigali a 5 (december 2014)
- Canzonettes or Little Short Songs to three voyces by Thomas Morley (100% DONE!)
Errors I know exist, which I need to fix.
- got date (decade) wrong on Marenzio's il terzo libro de madrigali a 6
- Vincenzo Ruffo la gamba: source has a typo (Vapriccio)
- Ferrabosco Susanna Fayre: parts use complete-score include file
- Banchiera: Canzon sesta change spelling of title
- Gastoldi 1598 duos mistakenly list Venice as publication location rather than Milan
- Canti C 007 - tritone leap in bass (maybe 0005, but I think 007--came across it while playing in ensemble)
- Raverii: tenor parts of most pieces say "part 3 or 4" instead of "part 3 of 4"
- Morley 3 parts, #17, final note (F) in bassus is octave too high
- Fix colored parts away from 2/3 in C time to 2. 4
- Vaghi boschetti by de wert: correct syllable breakup of Cedri~et (have: Ced -- ri~et)
- Marenzio #11: fix spelling of upload file (filename has #10's name)
- Susanna Fayre by Ferrabosco doesn't credit Ferrabosco in the music. Also, need to modernize spelling.
- Tasso's name spelled in a5 wert pieces.
- Gabrieli's name spelled Gabrielli in some piece.
What is Hawthorne Music?
An in-joke, mostly. The person who introduced me to the viola da gamba later became my landlord. She lives on Hawthorne Street in Dallas, TX, in an up-stairs/downstairs duplex, and owns both. The downstairs apartment had a vacancy, and I moved in. Two other mutual friends referred to this arrangement as something like "The Hawthorne Early Music Center of Dallas". I adopted it has the publishing house for my music, which is roughly based on the look-and-feel of the late George Hunter's editions (well-known in the viol community) published under Northwood Music (now owned Charlie Ogle). None of mine have been physically published yet, but I have self-publishing plans for the future...
Links to personal interests
My Early music flickr pages.
Copyright Notice of Intent
Upon my death, I wish all copyrights on any creative work I've made to be dissolved, and all my works to enter the public domain (or, alternatively, the Unlicense). This includes all work done for IMSLP.