[IN PROGRESS; adapted from web page Lyle Neff 16:18, 11 November 2009 (UTC)]
List of Musical Compositions by Lyle Neff
(ca. 1974-present, each category in approximate ascending chronological order)
Orchestra & Band
Solo with orchestra
Instrumental chamber music
- "Ein' feste Burg", for unison chorus and organ
- "Russian Prayer" ("God , our father, hear our prayer") on a Russian folk tune
- "Praise Ye the Lord", for mixed chorus and organ, published by Doxology Music Press (Aiken, S.C.) under pseudonym "Kevin Lyle"
- "In the Beginning", for mixed chorus and organ, published by Doxology Music Press (Aiken, S.C.) under pseudonym "Kevin Lyle"
- "Beatitudes," for mixed chorus and piano or organ (arr. from song)
- 8 Choral Responses for Church Service, for mixed chorus a cappella (optional piano accompaniment for one item)
- "The Greatest is Love," for mixed chorus and piano
- Psalm 151 (English tr.), for mixed chorus, trumpet, and two harps
- "Gloria," for mixed chorus and organ
- "O Sing unto the Lord," text from Psalm 96, for mixed chorus and piano
- "The Lord's My Shepherd, I'll Not Want" (adapted from organ hymn setting of "Pisgah")
- "He Leadeth Me," combined hymn texts from Henry W. Baker and Joseph H. Gilmore, for mixed chorus and piano
- "Show Me the Way," for mixed chorus a cappella (published by Augsburg Fortress)
- Requiem, for SATB soloists, mixed chorus, and chamber orchestra (including harp and organ)
- 1. Introit: "Requiem aeternam ... Te decet hymnus" (Soprano solo, chorus)
- 2. Kyrie (SATB solos, chorus)
- 3. Gradual: "Requiem aeternam" (Chorus a cappella)
- 4. Tract: "Absolve, Domine" (Soprano solo)
- 5. Sequence: "Dies irae" (Bass and alto solos, chorus)
- 6. Offertory: "Domine Jesu Christe" (Tenor solo, chorus)
- 7. Sanctus (Chorus)
- 8. Agnus Dei (Chorus)
- 9. Communion: "Lux aeterna" (Chorus)
- 10. Absolution: "Libera me" (Alto solo, TB chorus)
- 11. Burial: "In paradisum" (Chorus)
- "To Ev'rything There's a Season," text adapted from Ecclesiastes 3, for mixed chorus and piano
- "Miracle Worker," for vocal quartet or mixed chorus a cappella (published by GIA Publications; information, including complete set of preview score pages)
- "Take My Life," hymn text by Frances R. Havergal, for mixed chorus and organ
- "Come and Walk in the Light," for mixed chorus and piano (published by Augsburg Fortress; information, including sample first page an MP3 sample)
- "God Is There," for mixed chorus and piano
- Et insanivit, for mixed chorus a cappella
- Voice of a New Nation, cantata for soprano and baritone soloists, mixed chorus, and orchestra
- "A Farewell," for vocal quartet or mixed chorus, a cappella
Organ pieces on various hymn-tunes (in alphabetical order by tune name)
- Hymn Inspirations -- published by Augsburg Fortress, 2009; Information, including sample first pages
- Aberystwyth (Parry) -- "Jesus, Lover of My Soul"
- Dix -- "For the Beauty of the Earth"
- Es ist ein Ros' -- "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming"
- Un flambeau -- "Bring a Torch, Jeannette, Isabella!"
- In Dulci Jubilo
- Kingsfold -- "O King of Glory, David's Son"
- Lasst uns erfreuen / Divinum mysterium -- "All Creatures of Our God and King"/ "Of the Father's Love Begotten"
- Laudes Domini -- "When Morning Gilds the Skies"
- Peaceful Valley -- "We Shall Walk through the Valley in Peace
- Pisgah -- "The Lord's My Shepherd, I'll Not Want" (adapted later as a choral anthem)
- Sussex Carol -- "On Christmas Night All Christians Sing"
- Thaxted -- "I Vow to Thee, My Country"
- To God Be the Glory
- Other hymn-tune arrangements
- Easy to medium
- St. Anne -- "O God, Our Help in Ages Past"
- Converse -- "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"
- Gordon -- "My Jesus, I Love Thee"
- Hankey -- "I Love to Tell the Story"
- He Leadeth Me
- Italian Hymn -- "Come, Thou Almighty King"
- Kirkpatrick -- "He Hideth My Soul"
- Leoni -- "The God of Abraham Praise"
- Lord, I'm Coming Home -- "I've Wandered Far Away from God"
- Morris -- "Nearer, Still Nearer"
- Need -- "I Need Thee Every Hour"
- Russian Hymn -- "God the Omnipotent"
- The Sheltering Rock -- "There is a Rock in a Weary Land"
- Stories of Jesus -- "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus"
- Thompson -- "Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling"
- Trentham -- "Breath on Me, Breath of God"
Solo voice with instruments (piano unless otherwise indicated)
- "The Spirit of the Lord" (text from the Liturgy)
- "After the Dazzle of Day" (Walt Whitman)
- Three Songs (Sidney Lanier)
- "Souls and Rain-Drops"
- "The Palm and the Pine"
- "Marsh Hymns. Between Dawn and Sunrise"
- "I Heard the Voice of Jesus" (hymn text by Horatio Bonar)
- "Beatitudes" (arr. also for mixed chorus)
- My Last Duchess (Robert Browning), for baritone voice, recorder/flute, gamba/cello, harpsichord, and percussion
- "Love and the Amplifier," for mezzo-soprano, French horn, vibraphone, and marimba)
- "There Was a Lady Loved a Swine," for mezzo-soprano and wind quartet
- "Western Wind," for mezzo-soprano, flute, and clarinet
- "Photography Extraordinary" (Lewis Carroll), for mezzo-soprano
- "Miss Edith Makes Another Friend" (Bret Harte), for soprano
- Kamei (Cameos) (Lev Mej), for baritone voice, flute, violin, English horn, trombone, percussion, piano, 3 horns, and tuba
- Four Songs from Sidney Lanier's The Marshes of Glynn
- "Glooms of the live-oaks"
- "Oh, now unafraid"
- "Ye marshes, how candid and simple"
- "As the marsh-hen secretly builds"
Transcriptions of other composers' compositions (for organ unless otherwise indicated)
Bach, Johann Sebastian
- Chaconne in D Minor, BWV 1004
- "Sheep May Safely Graze" from Cantata No. 208
- Sinfonia from Cantata No. 12
- Sinfonia from Cantata No. 29, arr. for organ with piano accompaniment
Beethoven, Ludwig van
- March in B-flat Major (originally for 2 clarinets, 2 horns, 2 bassoons)
Borodin, Aleksandr Porfir'evich
- "Chorus of Praise" from Prince Igor (i.e., opening of Prologue)
- In Central Asia
- Moderato from Symphony No. 3, 2nd movement
- Theme from String Quartet No. 1, 1st movement
- Theme from String Quartet No. 2, 1st movement
Cui, Cesar Antonovich
- "A la chapelle," from A Argenteau, Op. 40
- "Gloria Patri and Wedding Recessional," from the opera The Saracen
- Offertory on 3 Noels, arr. for band
Haydn, Franz Joseph
- Allegretto (2nd movement) from String Quartet, Op. 54, No. 1
- Theme and Variations from String Quartet, Op. 76, No. 3
- Osanna and Benedictus from Messe de Notre Dame
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus
- Terzett (A Major) from The Magic Flute
- Aria (D Major) from The Miser
- Introduction to the opera Mlada
- Sinfonia from The Seven Last Words
Tchaikovsky, Petr Il'ich
- Theme from Elegy (1st movement), from Suite No. 3 for orchestra
- Largo from Violin Concerto, F. 1, No. 180