In 1846 Aloys Maier（1827-?）of Fulda, like Regensburg an important center of Catholic culture, founded a music and bookstore, which went into publishing in the 1850s.
Maier’s catalog was mainly for Catholic church use. First came many organ works by G.A Henkel (1856-) and
Wilhelm Valentin Volckmar (1812—1887) with his Orgel-Magazin series (1864-) and Organ School Op.50. Then from the 1880s oratorios and cantatas became important, especially those of the local composer-priest Heinrich Fidelis Müller (1837—1905). From 1900 the trend continued, with Feliks Nowowiejski (1877—1946)’s
Quo vadis? (1909) as the greatest success, although Albert Thierfelder’s works in this genre, such as Frau Holdes Op.30, (1903) and Kaiser Max und seine Jäger, Op.36 (1906) were also published. By this time Maier had passed on the business to his sons Richard (1858–1937) and Ernst (1893–1940).
In the 1920s and 30s more sacred dramatic works appeared, for example Viktor Lányi’s sacred opera Franz von Assisi 1927, Václav Felix Škop (1848—1932)’s, Stabat Mater Op.60 (1926) and Alfons Stier’s sacred trilogy "St. Michael" Op.45 (1936).
The firm had other interests, such as publishing a pocket-book breviary, and harmonium manufacturing. Sadly the premises and archives were destroyed by a bomb in 1940, and the firm closed.