The composer Georg Carl Zulehner (1770-1841) was an editor for Schott in Mainz from 1788. Mainz was a very important city before the 19th century, because it was, from 1252 to 1806, the seat of an ecclesiastical elector, one of the 7 to 9 electors of the Holy Roman Emperor of the "German Nation". When the Mainz Court Orchestra (Mainzer Hofkapelle), which had for example performed a mass by Dittersdorf at the coronation of the last Emperor Francis II in Frankfurt in 1792, was disbanded during the French occupation (1797-1814) he bought its library and subsequently, from 1798, supplied copies to local theaters. In 1799 he opened a music store (Musikalienhandlung).
Georg Carl Zulehner’s publishing house and print works operated from 1802 to 1811 in Mainz, then was continued into the 1820s by his nephew Georg Zulehner (1780–1856) in nearby Eltville in the Rheingau wine region. The total production was 280 plate numbers. Schott of Mainz acquired the company in the 1820s.
Zulehner's plate numbers were issued in the following format: ###.
|40||Sterkel||6 Pieces for Piano 4-Hands, StWV 211|
|55||Rinck||Piano Trio in D minor|
|89||Righini||6 Deutsche Lieder|
|256||Dotzauer||Overture, Op.26 (parts)|