||Dialogues dans l'Ombre
||Dialogues with Shadows
||Besset, Julian Raoul
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
||2 volumes, 6 movements in each
- 1. Soliloque / Soliloquy
- 2. Chevauchements de Discours / Snatches of Conversations
- 3. Echanges
- 4. Babillages / Chatterbox
- 5. Reassertions
- 6. Voix Claudiquantes / Limping Voices
- 1. Appels au Loin / Faraway Calls
- 2. Harangue
- 3. Face à Face
- 4. Salut Galant / Chivalrous Greeting
- 5. La question éludée / The dodged question
- 6. Volubilité
- 1. Concessions réciproques / Give and Take
- 2a. Réponse de l'Echo 1 / Jumbled Answer 1
- 2b. Réponse de l'Echo 2 / Unjumbled Answer 2
- 3. Croisements de Discours / Discourse Switch Backs
- 4. Palabres / Palaver
- 5. Confidences réciproques
- 6. Pas de côté / Side Steps
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||2017 & 2020
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Early 20th century
The title - or rather double title (the French and the English one do not signify the same thing) given to this work is, one might say, an epical amplification of the term Monologues, and has nothing whatsoever to do, musically or otherwise, with Boulez's Dialogues de l'ombre double (which incidentally was performed in memoriam at St Sulpice 01.14.2016). It simply refers to the composer's dogged attachment to his solitary organistical musings.
The second volume, composed at the same time, was posted later (May 2020). It involved a considerable amount of refinements. As is usual with this composer, who works mainly by ear and instinct, the alterations are introduced after careful listening to the audio output.
The third and last volume, composed in snatches in 2016 was left unfinished with no particular destination in mind, and it finally came to rest in this collection as the closing argument of a long convoluted discourse.