Friese was founded by Carl August Friese in Pirna in 1803. Carl's son, August Robert Friese (1805-1848) took over his father's store in 1828 and in the same year opened a publisher/bookstore "AR Friese" in Dresden. He returned from Dresden to Leipzig in September 1833 and founded a new branch of his operation.
In July 1837 August Friese bought Robert Schumann's Neue Zeitschrift für Musik. Friese caught pneumonia in March 1848 in Leipzig and died a few months later.
Friese's store seems to have ceased business or was bought in 1866.
The company published mainly songs and piano pieces, and composers included Felix Mendelssohn, Clara Wieck (Andante & Allegro for piano) and Stephen Heller among others.