IMSLP talk:Categorization/Project Members


Archive pages for this talk page


We have a piece entitled Musick's Delight on the Cithren (Playford, John), where "cithren" is an old-fashioned spelling of cittern, which I'm told is something between a guitar and a lute. Is the cittern sufficiently unique to deserve its own tag, or would it be more appropriately grouped with guitars and/or lutes? This appears to be the only composition on IMSLP for the cittern at the moment — P.davydov 16:09, 12 January 2012 (UTC)

In the absence of any expert advice, I'll used "cit" for the time being — P.davydov 20:52, 15 January 2012 (UTC)
That's useful, we can use that for the 18th century cittern (also known as the 'English guitar', or 'cetra' in Italy) too. The two instruments are similar enough and scarce enough to use the same tag, even though they have different tunings, and possibly different playing technique (plectrum v. finger?). I picked up on the Canaletti piece which had been tagged for zither. It may be that other pieces have erroneous tags, as the naming of instruments in the 18th century is confusing. 18th century English publications might only say 'Guitar', meaning 'English guitar' (not many instances of the baroque guitar in England, and the Spanish guitar only in the early 19th century). --Fynnjamin 09:27, 26 February 2012 (UTC)

Glass harmonica

Tag for Glass harmonica? gharm? Requireded for 12 Sonatas for Glass Harmonica (Naumann, Johann Gottlieb) and also Adagio in C major, K.356/617a (Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus), and doubtless others too... Ta, --Fynnjamin 11:59, 15 January 2012 (UTC)

Since "hca" is the tag for an ordinary harmonica, let's use "ghca" for the glass variety — P.davydov 20:51, 15 January 2012 (UTC)


Tag required for cornett (a very different instrument to the valved brass cornet), also known as cornetto, Zink. Several works have been uploaded for this instrument. --Fynnjamin 09:10, 26 February 2012 (UTC)

OK, I've allocated "crtt" for this instrument — P.davydov 09:44, 26 February 2012 (UTC)
Hrm, may have to go back through some LoC-scanned works to check - some of them may have been for this instrument and not the one I thought. Thanks for pointing this out. Eric 23:27, 17 March 2012 (EDT)

Aeolian piano?

have found a piece or two for or arranged for "aeolian piano" or "piano with an aeolian extension", which seems to have an extra pedal. Will be uploading one (Bohemian Grand March by Saroni) that's at LoC; the Aeolian pedal is used on the last system of the first page, not sure if that helps. What arrangement if any should I use to signify this? Thanks. Eric 23:48, 28 February 2012 (UTC) (arrangement because it seems clear-ish that it was not originally written for Aeolian piano.)

I can't seem to find out much about this instrument in the usual sources, except that there was an Aeolian Company based in New York which made pianos and pianolas. I'd suggest using "For Piano" as the heading, and noting the Aeolian bit in the notes section for the arrangement — P.davydov 14:05, 4 March 2012 (EST)


How much leeway is there with regard to content vs. title. Arthur Foote's Requiem,,_Arthur)# has been tagged as a song, probably because it isn't a religious work in the normal sense of the word. However, it is about death (poem by Robert Louis Stevenson). Should it be tagged "requiem"? Steltz 06:15, 1 March 2012 (UTC)

Well, it's true that IMSLP:Tagging doesn't explicitly say not to; I admit I did just assume, based in part on earlier discussions on another topic (on which such a distinction was probably more relevant). Eric 04:36, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
While it's true that it isn't a traditional requiem as such, I don't think we can completely ignore the composer's choice to retain the poem's original title, and so "requiems" is probably the better option in this specific case — P.davydov 14:00, 4 March 2012 (EST)


Do we have a tag for an instrument designated only as "clock"? I'm not sure what's supposed to be played here- maybe an actual clock (it's a song called "Dreaming Still I Hear the Clock" by Ferdinand Quentin Dulcken, so it would be wholly appropriate, if the performer could get the clock to do the accented attacks punctuated by rests in the last few bars right- up to then it's just straight ticking ticking allthewaythrough, and just on D and E above middle C at various dynamics) ... Eric 21:15, 3 March 2012 (EST)

This sounds like a job for the "mech" tag (for mechanical instruments) — P.davydov 14:06, 4 March 2012 (EST)
In the end, I tagged the Dulcken without reading this question first, but my decision was based on the fact that a third musician would not be needed. I thought the appropriate tag could also be "toy", but either way, it would come up as "for 3 players". It's like a clarinetist doubling bass clarinet; it's one player, and the two different doubling parts don't get tagged separately unless there's a separate player on the bass clarinet part. What do you think? Steltz 15:17, 4 March 2012 (EST)
Well, it seems to me that the composer has specifically requested three performers unless I'm misunderstanding. I don't see a mech tag anywhere in Mediawiki:Genres. morg, yes, but not mech. Just because a piece can be performed by fewer players- like Bartok's violin duos which can be overdubbed by one player electronically with themselves "as a duet" - doesn't mean one should tag that duet as a solo piece, for instance when the composer in that case has requested two. Eric 02:20, 5 March 2012 (EST)

New Discussion Page

As a result of Feldmahler's recent changes, we now have a new discussion forum here, and the page we're currently looking at is now difficult to get to. Can I suggest we continue on the new page? — P.davydov 04:26, 21 March 2012 (EDT)

clarinet choir? flute choir?

We recently got an upload for Eb clarinet, 8-10 Bb clarinets, alto and bass clarinets -- this would be a standard clarinet choir. There are similar ensembles in the flute family. I haven't looked at the score yet (still blocked), but typically the parts aren't solo, especially the B ones, which will be in 2-3 parts, with 2-3 players on each part. Could a "choir" tag be devised for such an ensemble? "flch" or "clch"?

These do crop up from time to time, and we normally tag the parts as if they were for solo instruments, because the overall instrumentation can vary according to the forces available. However, I could alter the tagging so that they're also in the category "For wind ensemble"? — P.davydov 04:04, 14 June 2014 (EDT)