||The Crown of India
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
||Masque – 12 pieces
- Tableau I. The Cities of Ind
- 1a. Introduction
- 1b. Sacred Measure
- 2. Dance of Nautch Girls
- 2a. India greets her Cities
- 3. Song (Agra): "Hail, Immemorial Ind!" (The Homage of Ind)
- 3a. Entrance of Calcutta
- India: "Welcome Calcutta!"
- 3b. Entrance of Delhi
- Delhi: "Stop! That place is mine"
- 4a. Introduction
- 4b. March of the Mogul Emperors
- India: "Illustrious Emperors!"
- 5. Entrance of John Company (Menuetto)
- Calcutta: "Good John Company, reply"
- 5a. Entrance of St. George
- India: "Calcutta, Delhi, give your quarrel pause"
- 6. Song (St. George): "The Rule of England"
- 7. Interlude
- Tableau II. Ave Imperator!
- 8a. Introduction
- 8b. Warriors' Dance
- 9. The Cities of Ind
- India: "Hail festal hour from out the ages drawn"
- 10. March: 'The Crown of India'
- India: 'Incessu patuit Imperator'
- 10a. The Homage of Ind
- 11. The Crowning of Delhi
- 12. Ave Imperator!
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1912-03-11 in London, Coliseum Theatre
- voices, chorus and orchestra, Edward Elgar (conductor)
||1912 - London: Novello
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||voices, chorus, orchestra
(alto, bass)Mixed Chorus
- piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, contrabassoon
4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba
timpani, percussion, harp, strings
||The Crown of India Suite, Op.66a
||*The only score published for the complete masque was a vocal score arranged by Elgar's friend Hugh Blair. The orchestral parts were apparently destroyed in the 1960s. In 2007 the Elgar Society commissioned the composer Anthony Payne to complete the orchestration of the music, using Elgar's own orchestrations of the movements used in the suite.