This British series of sacred and secular choral works started in 1844, published every month in the eponymous journal, and then reprinted. The title was originally The Musical Times and Singing Class Circular, but the last four words were dropped in 1903. It was in Novello & Co.'s well-known octavo (small) format, and economically printed without a cover. The number of items reached 600 in 1896 and 1200 in 1940.
Similar later series, started in the 1870s and 80s, were Novello's Octavo Choruses and Novello's Octavo Anthems.
Arrangers and Editors
- 58. The Lord is my Strength (Novello, Vincent)
- 60. Nymphs of the Forest (Horsley, William) .
- 78. Awake, Aeolian Lyre (Danby, John).
- 98. In Jewry is God Known (Clarke-Whitfeld, John).
- 114 Let Us Now Go Even Unto Bethlehem (Hopkins, Edward John)
- 188 I will Lift up Mine Eyes (Clarke-Whitfeld, John)...
- 239. Five Times by the Taper's Light (Storace, Stephen)
- 250. The Last Night of the Year (Sullivan, Arthur)
- 276. Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace (Williams, Charles Lee)
- 276. Sweeter than Songs of Summer (Bridge, Frederick)
- 321. It Is High Time to Awake out of Sleep (Barnby, Joseph)
- 381. O Zion, That Bringest Good Tidings (Stainer, John)
- 384. They Have Taken Away My Lord (Stainer, John)
- 468. Break Forth Into Joy (Barnby, Joseph)
- 588. God so Loved the World (Stainer, John)
- 589. Lead, Kindly Light (Evans, David Pughe)
- 590. I heard a great Voice (Cobb, Gerard Francis)
- 594. I will feed my Flock (Bridge, Frederick)
- 596. Whosoever drinketh of this water (Field, J. T.)
- 597. A Prayer for Peace (Crotch, William)
- 598. The star that now is shining (King, Oliver)
- 602. Great is our Lord (Foster, Myles Birket)
- 603. Sing unto the Lord (Harris, Cuthbert)
- 611. Angels from the reals of glory (Cowen, Frederic Hymen)
- 614. Lord, I call upon Thee (Culley, Arnold Duncan)
- 617. Jesu, priceless Treasure (Roberts, John Varley)
- 618. Thou crownest the Year with Thy Goodness (Booth, Josiah)
- 622 There was Silence in Bethlehem's Fields (Stainer, John)
- 644. Be glad and rejoice (Foster, Myles Birket)
- 645. Sing, O Heavens (Gaul, Alfred Robert)
- 661. Weary of Earth and laden with my Sin (Tozer, Ferris)
- 663. Spirit of Mercy, Truth and Love (Luard-Selby, Bertram)
- 669. See amid the Winter's Snow (West, John Ebenezer)
- 670. Through the day Thy love has spared us (Naylor, Charles Legh)
- 678. The sacrifice of God (Wareing, Herbert Walter)
- 681 It Came upon the Midnight Clear (Stainer, John)
- 696. Blessed are the poor in spirit (Hiles, Henry)
- 714. Unto Thee, o Lord (Wolstenholme, William)
- 722. Lord, I have loved the Habitation of Thy house (Torrance, George William)
- 735. This is the Day (Steane, Bruce)
- 739. Thy word is a lantern unto my feet (Young, George Coleman)
- 744. Christ was Delivered for Our Offences (Lloyd, Charles Harford)
- 745. Praised be the Lord daily (Lloyd, Charles Harford)
- 768. Father of Mercies, God of Love (Hall, Edward Vine)
- 772. O that men would praise the Lord (McEwen, John Blackwood)