Scores and Parts
||Leipzig: Eulenburg, No.337, n.d.(ca.1912). Plate E.E. 6182.
||Date from KVK
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
||Op.48 ; B.80
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
- Allegro moderato (A major)
- Dumka. (Elergie) Poco allegretto (D minor)
- Furiant. Presto (A major)
- Finale. Tema con variazioni. Allegretto grazioso, quasi andantino (A major)
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1878 (14 to 27 May)
||:(private) 29 July 1879 Berlin: Joachim Quartet
- (public) 9 November 1879 Berlin: Joachim, Heinrich de Ahna, E. Wirth, Robert Hausmann,(the Joachim Quartet) with Heinrich Jacobsen (viola), Hugo Dechert (cello)
- 23 Feb 1880 London: Joachim, Ries, Straus, Zerbini, Pezze, Piatti
- 10 April 1880 New York: Richard Arnold (NY Phil 1885-1909) and the Philharmonic Club
||1879 – Berlin: N. Simrock
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||2 violins, 2 violas, 2 cellos
The first publisher Simrock's editor in chief Robert Keller, in a letter to the composer of 26 May 1879, criticized the schereiende und unaufgeloste Dizssonanzen (shrill and unresolved dissonances) of the first movement, in response to which Dvorak shortened the exposition by 45 measures and cut 20 measures from the development.
|Chamber Music for Strings by Antonín Dvořák
- String Quartet No.1 in A major, Op.2/B.8 (1862)
- String Quartet No.2 in B-flat major, B.17 (1869)
- String Quartet No.3 in D major, B.18 (1869-70)
- String Quartet No.4 in E minor, B.19 (1870)
- String Quartet No.5 in F minor, Op.9/B.37 (1873)
- String Quartet No.6 in A minor, Op.12/B.40 (1873)
- Andante appassionato in F major, B.40a (1873)
- String Quartet No.7 in A minor, Op.16/B.45 (1874)
- String Quartet No.8 in E major, Op.80/B.57 (1876)
- String Quartet No.9 in D minor, Op.34/B.75 (1877)
- String Quartet No.10 in E♭ major 'Slavonic', Op.51/B.92 (1878-79)
- String Quartet No.11 in C major, Op.61/B.122 (1881)
- Echo of Songs (Ohlas písní), B.152 (1887)
- String Quartet No.12 in F major 'American', Op.96/B.179 (1893)
- String Quartet No.13 in G major, Op.106/B.192 (1895)
- String Quartet No.14 in A♭ major, Op.105/B.193 (1895)
- String Sextet, Op.48 in A major, Op.48/B.80 (1878)