||Piano Trio No.1 in B major
||Klaviertrio Nr.1 H-dur
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
- 1st version (1853–54)
- Allegro con moto (B major, 494 bars)
- Scherzo. Allegro molto (B minor, 459 bars)
- Adagio non troppo (B major, 157 bars)
- Finale. Allegro molto agitato (B minor, 518 bars)
- 2nd version (1889)
- Allegro con brio (B major, 289 bars)
- Scherzo. Allegro molto (B minor, 460 bars)
- Adagio (B major, 99 bars)
- Finale. Allegro (B minor, 322 bars)
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1853–54 1st version|
1889 2nd version
||1855-10-13 in Danzig - 1st version|
1890-01-10 in Budapest - 2nd version
||1854 (November) 1st version|
1891 (February) 2nd version
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
||35 minutes (original version: 40-45 minutes)
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||violin, cello, piano
- Composed for piano trio, 1853–54.
- Revised by Brahms in 1889. "The first movement is shortened by about half the original length, the second and third movements by a third. In the first and last movements, Brahms completely replaced the original second themes with new ones, in the first movement he took out a long fugue, in the Adagio he erased an Allegro middle section, and in the Finale he left out quotes of Beethoven and Schubert Lieder."