||42 movements in 2 parts
- Introduction (Elijah): As God the Lord of Israel liveth
- Overture (orchestra)
- 1. Chorus (SATB): Help, Lord!
- 2. Duet (SS) with Choir (SATB): Lord! bow thine ear to our prayer!
- 3. Recitative (Obadiah): Ye people, rend your hearts
- 4. Aria (Obadiah): If with all your hearts
- 5. Chorus (SATB): Yet doth the Lord see it not
- 6. Recitative (Angel I): Elijah! get thee hence
- 7. Double quartet (Angels, SSAATTBB): For he shall give his angels
- Recit. (Angel I): Now Cherith's brook is dried up
- 8. Recitative, Aria, Duet (Widow, Elijah): What have I to do with thee?
- 9. Chorus (SATB): Blessed are the men who fear him
- 10. Recitative (Elijah, Ahab, SATB): As God the Lord of Sabaoth liveth
- 11. Chorus (SSAATTBB): Baal, we cry to thee; hear and answer us!
- 12. Recitative (Elijah, SATB): Call him louder, for he is a god!
- 13. Recitative (Elijah, SATB): Call him louder! he heareth not!
- 14. Aria with Choir (Elijah, SATB): Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel!
- 15. Quartet (SATB): Cast thy burden upon the Lord
- 16. Recitative (Elijah, SATB): O thou, who makest thine angels spirits
- 17. Aria (Elijah): Is not his word like a fire?
- 18. Arioso (Angel I): Woe unto them who forsake him!
- 19. Recitative (Obadiah, Elijah, SATB, Youth): O man of God, help thy people!
- 20. Chorus (SATB): Thanks be to God
- 21. Aria (Soprano): Hear ye, Israel!
- 22. Chorus (SATB): Be not afraid, saith God the Lord
- 23. Recitative (Elijah, Queen, SATB): The Lord hath exalted thee
- 24. Chorus (Obadiah, Elijah): Woe to him, he shall perish
- 25. Recitative (Tenor): Man of God, now let my words
- 26. Aria (Elijah): It is enough, O Lord now take away my life
- 27. Recitative (Tenor): See, now he sleepeth
- 28. Trio (SSA): Lift thine eyes
- 29. Chorus (SATB): He, watching over Israel, slumbers not
- 30. Recitative (Angel I, Elijah): Arise, Elijah, for thou hast a long journey
- 31. Aria (Angel I): O rest in the Lord
- 32. Chorus (SATB): He that shall endure to the end, shall be saved
- 33. Recitative (Elijah, Angel II): Night falleth round me, O Lord!
- 34. Chorus (SATB): Behold! God the Lord passeth by!
- 35. Quartet (SSAA), Choir (SATB): Above him stood the Seraphim; Holy is God the Lord
- 36. Recitative (SSATTBB, Elijah): Go, return upon thy way! I go on my way
- 37. Arioso (Elijah): For the mountains shall depart
- 38. Chorus (SATB): Then did Elijah the prophet break forth
- 39. Aria (Tenor): Then shall the righteous shine forth
- 40. Recitative (Soprano): Behold, God hath sent Elijah
- 41. Chorus (SSAATTBB): But the Lord, from the north hath raised one Isaiah
- Quartet (SATB): O come everyone that thirsteth
- 42. Chorus (SATB): And then shall your light break forth
- Lord, our Creator
||voices, chorus, orchestra |
- Cast (SSSAATTB)
- Elijah (baritone)
Angel II (soprano)
Angel I (alto)
- Mixed Chorus (SATB)
- 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons
4 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, ophicleïde, timpani, organ, strings